Old Belfast News

Belfast Newsletter 1883


Jane Corr, an inmate, was charged with having been insubordinate in the Belfast Workhouse that morning.

Mr. Harper prosecuted.

The laundress, Miss Mallaghan, stated that she had told the accused to get some clothes from a room upstairs for the wash but she refused, at the same time using very bad language.

The Master of the Workhouse (Mr. Maniece) said when the laundress complained to him he went in and spoke to the woman, but she got very disorderly and refused to obey him. If women like her were allowed to do as they liked the house could not be managed. He had power to put her in the cells for twelve hours, but she raised such an outcry he thought it better to bring her before their Worships.

The defence was that the accused was suffering from heart disease, and could not do the work she was put to.

Mr. HAMILTON remarked that she appeared to be a very turbulent woman, and as there were twenty-five previous records against her he would send her to jail for one month.


Thomas Gardner was sent to jail for three months for assaulting his wife by striking her with a stool. The woman stated she had to support him, and that it was a usual thing for him to come home and beat her.



Belfast Newsletter 1883


The presiding magistrates in the Custody Court yesterday were -- Thomas Hamilton, Esq., R.M.; W.J. Johnston, Esq., J.P.; Dr. Wilberforce Arnold, J.P.; and Arthur Hamill, Esq., J.P. James Murphy was brought up in custody of Constable Moore with having stolen two cows on the 23rd ult. from a man named James Erwin, of Creevytenant. Mr. Coulter prosecuted, and the prisoner was defended by Mr. Sheals. The accused was arrested while offering the cows for sale to a butcher in town. Mr. Hamilton remanded the prisoner till Wednesday for the purpose of hearing further evidence. Two young men named Joseph Hughes and Thomas Thompson were charged by Sub-Constable John Cleery, Ligoniel, with having been engaged in bullet-throwing in the neighbourhood of Oldpark on Saturday last. Constable Cleery stated that he was on duty at the time in plainclothes, and saw the prisoners committing the offence. The bullet (produced) was nearly striking him. Several complaints had been made against the practice, which was very frequent, and the children in the village of Oldpark could not go into the street without very great risk. He had sprained his wrist in trying to arrest the prisoners. Mr. Hamilton said he would make an example of the prisoners. He would therefore fine them each in 40s and costs, which was the extreme penalty. The constable deserved great credit for the manner in which he had brought the case before the Court. Charles Somerset was charged at the instance of Elijah Price, manager of the Pepper's Ghost entertainment, for having assaulted him on Saturday evening at the Victoria Hall. Mr. Sheals defended the prisoner. It appeared that the accused went into the wrong part of the hall, and when requested to go to the proper place, deliberately struck the complainant on the neck and knocked him down. Mr. Hamilton fined the accused in £5, or one month's imprisonment -- one-third of the fine, if paid, to go to the complainant. -- A. Hamill, Esq., presided in the Summons Court, and disposed of some unimportant business. POLICE INTELLIGENCE.

[Before THOS. HAMILTON, Esq., R.M.]


Henry Gilmore was put forward on a charge of drunkenness, and pleading guilty was fined in 40s and costs.

As prisoner left the dock,

James Allen, a lodging-house keeper, residing at 56, Carrick Hill, charged Gilmore with having wrecked his house. Allen was sworn, and deposed that accused had lodged with him for five weeks, but had paid nothing during that time. He returned to the house on the previous night in a state of intoxication, and smashed all the breakable articles he could find in the kitchen, and wound up by catching witness's finger in his mouth, and inflicting a severe wound.

Prisoner was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, in addition to a fine of 40s and costs already imposed.


Mary Atkinson was charged with having stolen two cloaks, the property of Mrs. Meek and Miss M'Carrison, two ladies who reside at 35, Botanic Avenue.

It appeared that the prisoner snatched the garments from the hall rack, and ran away with them, but was overtaken within about a hundred yards from the house.

Inasmuch as there was another case of larceny against the prisoner, in which the evidence was not yet complete, a remand was granted for a week.


James Magee, Michael Waters, Michael Gallagher, and Francis Moreton were charged with having been concealed with intent to commit a felony in business premises in Garmoyle Street.

The prisoners, who stated that they went into the place merely to sleep, and not to steal, were remanded until to-day.


Robert, Bernard, Mary Ann, and Mary Jane Shillady, Shane's Court, were charged with having assaulted several policemen.

The evidence went to show that Sub-Constables M'Caffrey, Rafter, and Phelan had had their attention directed to a house in the court wherein, as they were informed, a woman was being severely assaulted. On forcing an entrance they were attacked by the prisoners, Robert Shillady being the most violent of the four.

Robert Shillady was sentenced to two months' imprisonment. The other prisoners were discharged.


Charles Campbell, 25, Victoria Terrace, Limestone Road, a respectably-dressed man, who was described as a commercial traveller, was charged with having violently assaulted his wife.

Mrs. Campbell, who appeared to be in very weak condition, was assisted into the witness-box by her mother. She deposed that she had been married to the prisoner for five years, and had become the mother of four children. Accused was in the habit of ill-treating her, and on the previous evening he dragged her along the floor of the kitchen and threw her out into the yard. He then lifted the two oldest children and threw them down on her. Witness suffered want from her husband's neglect, and was often obliged to depend on her mother. He had repeatedly threatened to take her life, had never treated her like a wife, and had often said that he wanted to get rid of her.

Jane Boyle, mother of the previous witness, gave corroborative testimony, and said that when she wanted to convey food to the children she was obliged to leave it in a neighbour's house, or otherwise the prisoner would not let them have it.

Mr. HAMILTON -- I must confess that I have heard a great many cases of men ill-treating their wives in this court, but I never heard one presenting more horrible features of brutality then this. Unless you produce evidence to disprove what has been sworn by your wife and mother-in-law I will give you the full extent of punishment that it is in my power to inflict. Have you any witnesses to call?

Prisoner -- No; I have not.

Mr. HAMILTON -- Then, you will be imprisoned for six calendar months, with hard labour; and that is hardly sufficient punishment for your offence. At the expiration of that term you are to find bail -- yourself in £20, and two sureties in £10 each- to keep the peace for twelve months; or, in default, to be imprisoned for a further period of six months, with hard labour.


James Murphy was put forward on a charge of having been concerned in the stealing of two cows from a farmer residing in the neighbourhood of Ballynahinch.

Sub-Inspector Bull stated that the prisoner's father was also implicated in the matter, and it was believed that he was the principal offender, but he had not yet been arrested. Meantime he (the sub-inspector) would ask for a remand. Accused was remanded for a week.



[Before THOMAS HAMILTON, Esq., R.M.]


Mary A. Bell was sent to gaol for three months for assaulting Sub-Constables Kelly and Walsh the previous day in Mullin's Place.

John Shillady was charged by Sub-Constable Rafter with having assaulted him after being arrested for breaking a number of panes of glass in the house of a Mrs. Grant, Shane's Court, on Wednesday.

Mr. Coulter prosecuted.

The constable having given evidence regarding the assault, stated that Mrs. Grant, whose windows had been broken, did not appear.

Mr. HAMILTON remanded the case till to-day to have Mrs. Grant produced.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


[Before WM. BELL, Esq., J.P.; JAS. H. HASLETT, Esq., J.P.; and SAML. ANDREWS, Esq., J.P.]


A MAN NAMED Wilson Moore, Sandy Row, was summoned by Acting-Constable Kane for having assaulted a man in complainant's view on the 24th ult. George Hanna, the party alleged to have been assaulted, was also summoned for being drunk and disorderly at the time of the occurrence.

Mr. M'Lean, jun., prosecuted, and the defendant Moore was represented by Mr. M'Erlean.

It appeared from the evidence that the constable, when he told Moore he would summon him, was informed by the defendant he was not the man at all.

To Mr. M'ERLEAN -- He (the constable) could not swear positively that Moore was the man, but he believed he was.

Mr. M'ERLEAN applied for a dismiss, with costs, which was granted. Hanna, for being drunk and disorderly, was fined 10s and costs.


David Craig, publican, Craigmore Street, was summoned by Sub-Constable Crooks for having sold liquor during prohibited hours on Sunday, the 25th ult. Mr. Sheals appeared for the defendant.

The constable stated he was on duty about a quarter-past eight and saw some one getting what looked to be a bottle out of defendant's shop. He tried to overtake the party, but could not. He then went back to the defendant's shop, but when he got inside he found the bar was locked.

Mr. SHEALS applied to have the case dismissed.

Mr. M'LEAN admitted the case had not been proved, and it was accordingly dismissed.

The same defendant was again summoned by same complainant for having allowed liquor to be consumed on the premises on the 26th ult., he having only a spirit-grocer's license.

The evidence went to show that the constable, hearing corks drawn, entered the premises, and found two men named Gelston and Scott, the latter with half a glass of porter in his hand. There was a glass of porter on the counter in front of the other person.

TO Mr. SHEALS -- He saw a breadcart standing at the door.

The evidence for the defence was that the men were breadcart drivers, and had been treated by Mrs. Craig, and that they had not paid for the drink.

The COURT dismissed the case.



On Saturday night a very serious stabbing affray took place in Scotch Street, Armagh, as a result of which a young discharged soldier named John M'Fadden, a native of Coleraine, died on Monday night in the county infirmary. It appears that he and another soldier named John Murray, of Letterkenny, were drinking together in a public-house when an argument ensued between them as to the merits and demerits of Sir Edward Carson, the late Mr. John Redmond, and Liam O'Brien, the Sinn Fein candidate for Mid-Armagh. The words ended in blows, but eventually the men were separated. Subsequently they again met in Scotch Street, and it is alleged that Murray draw a knife which he had recently purchased and stabbed M'Fadden underneath the heart. The wound was very severe, and M'Fadden was conveyed to the county infirmary, where he became unconscious. He was attended by Surgeon Palmer [article continued]FRENCH HONOUR FOR BELFASTMAN.

Corporal Peter Smith, R.A.M.C. 25 Quadrant Street, Belfast, has been awarded the French Legion of Honour, with silver leaves. He was formerly in the employment of Messrs. John Robson, Chichester Street, and his father and two brothers are serving. A French general will present the medal, but the ribbon was presented by a British general, who read out the following details of the deed for which it was awarded:- "For conspicuous gallantry on a motor cycle, under heavy shell fire and in a gassed area, reconnoitring for suitable roads for ambulances, and reporting the location of wounded."

Private Patrick Kerr, 1st Battalion, Irish Guards wounded and missing since 9th October, 1917, is now officially reported killed on that date. His parents reside at 56 Pound Street, Belfast.


Irish News - 28 March, 1916 Clippings

Death of a highly--respected Belfast National Volunteer: All Volunteers in the city learned with pain and sorrow of the death, at his residence 204 Leeson Street, of Private J. Matthews, of "E" Company, 1st Battalion. Deceased had been connected with the company since the inception of the Volunteer movement in the city, a regular attender at his company's meetings and parades, and was in every respect an energetic, efficient and earnest Volunteer. He has also been identified with the Ancient Order of Hibernians, being for a considerable number of years a member of a local division, and was an ardent worker on behalf of the National Cause. The deep sympathy of all Volunteers and the Nationalists in the city is extended to his numerous friends in their sad bereavement.

The funeral to Milltown Cemetery, took place on Monday last, at 2.30 o'clock, and was an exceedingly large and representative one, reflecting in large measure the esteem and affection in which the deceased had been held in National circles in the city. All the Nationalist organizations were fully represented, and the National Volunteers, in uniform, under Captain William Downey, paraded in large numbers. Colour-Sergeant P.M'Ilroy, ( "E" Company, 1st Battalion) had charge of the firing party, which was drawn from deceased's own company.

The regimental band, playing appropriate music, preceded the cortege, amidst universal signs of mourning, from the deceased's residence, via Leeson Street and Falls Road, to the cemetery. The Rev. Father Mulligan conducted the funeral service at the graveside and the last tribute of his Volunteer comrades paid deceased, the firing party discharging three volleys over the grave and the bugles sounding the last post.

Amongst those who followed the remains to their last resting place were.- Mr Daniel Matthews ( brother, chief mourner), the Rev. Father Mulligan, Major John M'Connell, Captain and Adjutant A Robbin, Captain C. M'Govern, E Company, 1st Battallion; Lieutenant Hugh M'Millan, E Company, 3rd Battalion; Chairman City Board of I.N.V.; Lieutenant W .J.Duffy, B Company, 1st Battalion; Lieutenant E Troddn, A Company, 1st Battalion; Messrs H Smyth, F Dempsey, J M'Donald, C Dempsey, W. Thomas, J M'Killen, J M'Aleer, P Gormley, F Fegan, A M'Kee, J M'Bride, T Sloan, P O'Neill, H Hughes, W Lismore, J Brown, J Dempsey, C O'Donnell, E M'Gee, J Toner, J Murphy, J Crudden, J Connolly, D M'Cavangh, G Rea, H Early, J Donaghy, J M'Mahon, J M'Gee, J Kelly, J M'Corry, JM'Kenna, J M'Conville, J Monaghan, B Downey, R Lavery, T Purden, J Goss, P Keenan, E Regan, J Cunningham, J M'Guinness, J Deighan, President 58 Division A.O.H.: T Lavery. E Lavery, P M'Daniel, Councillor Collins, J Fegan, M Connolly, J M'Cashin, P M'Mahon, P Cunningham, and P Kelly


Irish Weekly and Ulster Examiner - 19 June, 1915 Clippings

First Irish Guardsman from Belfast.

His many friends will learn with deep regret of the death of Private Hugh Michael M'Manus, regimental No. 14, 1st Battalion of the Irish Guards, who was killed in action in Northern France on 18th May. Deceased was the first soldier from Belfast to join the Irish Guards at the formation of that great regiment, which has distinguished itself so much in the great war. Private M'Manus served twelve years in the Irish Guards, and although not a reservist, and occupying an important Civil Service Government in England, he volunteered his services at the outbreak of the war, and since then has been engaged in many fierce struggles. His name will long be remembered amongst his many comrades who fought so gallantly in the battlefields of France and Flanders. Private M'Manus belongs to a respected Catholic family now residing in Belfast. His brother is Captain M'Manus, of the Irish Brigade, who has been stationed in Belfast for some time past. To his mother, brothers and sister's will be extended the heartfelt sympathy and prayers of a large circle of friends. We trust the heroism of his death will be some little consolation to his sorrowing relatives and friends for 'he died that his country might live.



Contact JoeGraham  Rushlight123@hotmail.com


TEL 028 90626631